The review was announced by Culture Minister Ed Vaizey on 26 september 2012. It will be headed by William Sieghart and will consider:
- the benefits of e-lending
- the current nature and level of e-lending and projection of future demand
- Current supply models, barriers to the supply of e-books to libraries, and likely future trends
- Systems for remunerating authors / publishers for e-lending
- The impact of e-lending on publishers and their business models
- Any unforeseen consequences of e-lending, including the long term impact on library premises, the impact on those who cannot keep up with changes in technology, skills requirements for librarians etc.
Submissions to the panel closed on 6 November, 2012, and the panel’s review is due to be produced in early 2013.
The panel’s terms of reference should be available at http://www.culture.gov.uk/images/publications/e-lending_review_ToR.pdf, but at time of writing this document was not available on the DCMS website. However, the document has been archived by the UK National Archives and is available through the UK Government Web Archive – Terms of Reference.